Thursday 31 January 2019

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

Insecurity Hinders Our Collection
CCD: Give us a brief insight into the man, James Olanrewaju Okunola. 
MA: I was born in Kaduna, attended Air Force Secondary School Kaduna where I obtained my SSCE before I proceeded to Kaduna Polytechnic for a National Diploma in Science Laboratory Technology. I obtained a BSC in Biochemistry (first-class Hons.) from Babcock University in 2012. I obtained an MSc in Biotechnology from Nigerian Defence Academy in 2016.

CCD: When did you join the company and what are your primary responsibilities?
MA: I joined the company on 1st September, 2015. My primary responsibility as SCM is to oversee the affairs of the Service Centre. I am the company representative at Service Centre level. I address customer complaints promptly and ensure all company policies are duly implemented in line with the vision of the company.

CCD: Could you shed more light on the Marketing aspect of your responsibility?
MA: Marketing Department is basically the revenue-generating department of the company that interfaces with customers to enhance customer satisfaction; it also ensures that their bills are promptly paid. 
The skills acquired from marketing have helped me make critical financial decisions in life so marketing is inseparable from our day to day life.
CCD: What are the challenges associated with being a Marketer?
MA: The major constraint we have in Mafara 33kv Service Centre is insecurity; it poses a major threat on how far we can go in the field. It prevents us from having access to some potential and even existing customers thereby limiting our collection efficiency. Other challenges are the nature of the environment and limited educational level of the customer, which makes dissemination of information occasionally difficult.

CCD: What would you consider your shortcomings as an individual and how it affects the job?
MA: My major weakness is that I can be too critical of myself. A pattern that I have noticed throughout my career is that I often feel I could have done more, even if objectively I have done well.  One solution I have implemented over the last three years is to actively pause and celebrate my achievements. Not only has that helped my own self-esteem, it has also helped me genuinely appreciate and recognize my team and other support systems.

CCD: What then are your strengths?
MA: My strength in terms of my job is my ability to interact with all kinds of customers, from the calm to the temperamental to the uneducated and all. 
 I am very collaborative that is why I have always preferred to work in groups. I have worked with a varied group of people since my entry into Kaduna Electric.  I am equally always motivated by diverse creative tasks. Since I began managing my current team, I have increased productivity by almost 30% over the last 10 months.

CCD: What is your take on HR's policy on building staff Career Path?
MA: Overtime, company policies have been addressing staff career path, which I believe every staff should key in as this will enhance productivity and staff welfare would progressively improve.

CCD: What skills or experience do you offer that will help you succeed in your current role?
MA: As a certified Customer Relationship Manager, I am trained to maximize the tools and resources at my disposal to enhance customer loyalty and satisfaction. 
Working with Kaduna Electric has offered me an opportunity to train and develop myself because I was privileged to be among the staff trained at NAPTIN as well as other internally organized trainings which have boosted my knowledge and performance on the job. 

CCD: Any appeal or suggestion to Staff and Management?
MA: My appeal to staff is to remain dedicated, diligent and focused. Hard work is a propeller to greatness.  To management: staff welfare and provision of adequate working tools should be of upmost priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment