Thursday 17 January 2019

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

We Need To Do More To Change Customers' Attitude to Payment

CCD: Let us start with your background, who is Merian Chibuzor?
AMC: I was born and brought up here in Birnin Kebbi. I speak English, Igbo and Hausa Languages fluently. I attended Polytechnic Staff Nursery and Primary School; I later proceeded to Federal Government Girls College, Gwandu for my Secondary education. I obtained the Higher National Diploma in Accountancy from the prestigious Waziru Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi.
To satisfy my desire to develop my managerial potentials I then proceeded for my Post­graduate Diploma in Business Management after which I enrolled for my Masters Degree in Business Management, which is in view. And now I am a staff of this great Company Kaduna Electric.

CCD: How long have you been in the service of this great company?
AMC: I became a member of this wonderful family on the 14th day of September 2015 as a Sales Representative posted to G.R.A Service Center Kebbi Regional Office. Towards the middle of the year 2016 I was then redeployed to Gwadangaji Service Center as Sales Representative. On the 1st of the month of June 2018 I was transferred to Tudun Wada Service Center as the acting Service Center Manager and that to date.

CCD: Can you tell us what your primary responsibilities are as a Service Center Manager? 
AMC: My primary responsibilities as acting Service Center Manager are to effectively supervise and coordinate the activities of my Service Center in the most profitable manner, to ensure our esteemed customers are satisfied with the services we render to them.

CCD: What value do you think your office is adding to the Company?
AMC: Well, the whole work is a collective effort, teamwork and dedication, as an acting Service Center Manager when I am able to discharge my responsibilities effectively and efficiently the results will impact positively on my Service Center which will be reflected in the regional office and the company as a whole. 
For example, when I was made the acting Service Center Manager the Feeder was a Red feeder, but with the help of God, our commitment and dedication, we were able to move Tudun wada Service Center out of the Red feeders to a Yellow feeder and we are striving tirelessly to move it to a Green feeder by the special grace of God. My colleagues and I will not relent until we are able to achieve it.

CCD: Being the only female in the Service Centre, are there any challenges associated with that?
AMC: Well, life itself is challenging.  The main challenge I am facing is from Tudun wada Service Center where there is a reluctance, customer apathy to payment because most of them claim to be peasant farmers, fishermen and laborers.
There is also lack of knowledge of energy management due to the demography of the area; some of them are ignorant and are not aware of the modern trends, they know the importance of our service to them and yet they are unwilling to pay for electricity consumed.
They still have the mentality that electricity is one of the dividends of democracy they are to enjoy from the government as citizens of the country.

CCD: What are the solutions to these challenges?
AMC: Basically, we have to tackle these challenges through enlightening and educating our customers and bringing the message of advocacy to them; it is no longer business as usual. The electricity distribution company is a private company owned and managed by private business owners who have invested a lot and are entitled to return on investments. Our customers have to be committed to paying their electricity bills to enable us serve them better.

CCD: This is 2019 what are your plans?
AMC: I thank God for bringing us into the New Year. This year I see my Service Center performing beyond expectations. I am planning to re-visit the various community leaders and youth leaders within my Service Center coverage areas, to foster and promote a cordial relationship between us. And of course, most importantly, to ensure compliance and regular settlement of their electricity bills.

CCD: What advice can you give to staff?
AMC: I would like each one of us to take our job seriously and for us to take ownership of the business. I am sure that if it were our business, we would not want to see it suffer.
We have to work as a team; we should shun all forms of indolence, to be more serious and committed towards making our company the preferred choice in terms of service delivery and customer satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment