Thursday 2 August 2018

MEET THE STAFF SERIES


We Need to Imbibe Inclusive Security … Hassan Ahmad

CCD: Tell us about yourself Sir?
HA: My name is Hassan Ahmad Muhammad; I am currently the Admin and Security Officer, Gusau Regional Office. I was born and brought up in Kaduna State; I attended Kaduna Capital School and later went to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where I had my first degree, I also have a Master’s degree in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice (MLCJ) from the same university.
I joined the service of Kaduna Electric two years after serving my dear country; I started at Doka Region, I was later posted to Rigasa Area Office. In September 2017, I was reassigned from SR to ASO and was immediately posted to Sokoto Area Office and now  I am in Gusau Regional Office. I worked as an SR, Administration and Security Officer and lately as team lead, disconnection. I worked with many Service Center Managers, BDROs, TMs, and SMSs.

CCD: As an Administration and Security Officer, what kind of relationship do you have with security personnel and agencies?
HA: The relationship between me as the ASO and most of the security agencies and people is always a cordial one, they always give me cooperation. Whenever their services are needed, a phone call is enough to get them in the scene. For instance, in the case of vandalism, when a vandal is caught by mob or transformer committee, once I give the police or civil defense a call, they will appear at the scene and arrest the suspect, then further investigation is carried out. When threats are posed on our staff while on duty at the field or office, I also invites these uniform men to interfere and they give us cooperation to the best of their abilities.
I also have a good relationship with the Commissioner of Police, since you know he is not our first contact; I don’t frequently go to him when we have issues, but when the need to see him arise, we go to him and present our demands; if it is what he can solve, he does that immediately and if he can’t, he usually advise us on the ways out. The same is applicable to Federal Road safety Commission, Civil defense and the rest.

CCD: What demotivates you?
HA: Shortage of staff in some places like Gusau, the attitude of some of our staffs, absence of some basic logistics like meters ( both transformer meters and individual customer meters) and Inadequate training.

CCD: One tough challenge facing the company is poor collection, what is your contribution to that?
HA: One of my contributions towards cash collection is my second task which is disconnection, as the team lead disconnection of Gusau RO, I try my best to make sure defaulters are effectively disconnected, and we also try to assist in debt recovery i.e. outstanding payments.
I also contribute as security officer through the provision of security to our staff, this would boost their confidence in discharging their responsibilities, and I also try to make our staff understand the importance of inclusive security which is done through community engagement.
I also make sure our staff display their ID cards while on duty, this eases their relationship with customers. Where ever a staff is sighted with ID card, people respects him more and also respects his organization.
 I also tried my best to make sure some of the motorcycles in the Regional Office are registered and distributed to our staff to ease their movement and ease cash drive activities. Motor vehicles are also maintained as at when due to prevent breakdown while on duty. Community engagement is also one of the things we do to create awareness among people on the importance of paying electricity bills, security of our installations, respect for staff, exposing impostors and also protecting our customers  from mischief makers.

CCD: How can we change the fortune of the company?
HA: Revenue generation is the key to the progress of this company, this is realized from our customers, and these customers are divided basically into 3, those that pay voluntarily, those that need to be forced to pay and those that do not like paying. Customers also have income circle; some depend on salary, some are business people and some are jobless. I think the company needs to categorize these customers and find the best way of dealing with each customer.  

CCD: What are your sources of strength?
HA: I would say my strength lies on my integrity and working with passion to move this company to the next level.

CCD: Any appeal or suggestion to staff or Management
HA: My appeal to the Management is that they should continue what they are doing in terms of provision of the things that would ease the work of the staff, like MVs MCs, office equipment, renovation and the rest. I know the Company is doing its best to assist the staff with all necessary tools and I really appreciate these efforts, but I would like to urge the Management to continue doing so, I don’t want the Management to relent. I know the performance is epileptic, I believe if the Company continues believing in us, we can do better.
On the other hand, my appeal to the staff is to have passion for the job. I know and believe virtually all the staff in this Company love not just their jobs but the Company as well. Only a few lack commitment and or are overwhelmed by the tight schedule of the work. The best way to go higher is it to be better than what you were yesterday. Set a target and try to surpass that target every day.
CCD: What are your hubbies?
HA: My hubby in Kaduna electric is dealing with both staff and customers in a way that will assist in improving the company’s performance and also sharpening my personal skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment