Thursday 10 May 2018

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

Technology Will Address the Menace of Vandalism
  
CCD: Usman Ismail Abdullahi, give us an insight in to your background?
USA: I was born and raised in Kano, I attended Science College, Dawakin Tofa. I have a degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and a Master's in Electrical Engineering. 
I worked with Royal Haskoning Engineering as a Technical Support Manager before joining Kaduna Electric in 2015. My Area of interest is Control and Automation. I am now the Head, Group Emerging Technology in Engineering.

CCD: How about your journey to Kaduna Electric?
USA: I started working as linesman in Gonin Gora Service Centre where we were saddled with responsibility of managing 11KV Federal Housing and 33KV Gonin Gora Feeder.
My performance caught the attention of the management and I was transferred to Head Office as a Network Design Engineer. My key responsibilities then were network design and feasibility studies for new projects and their commercial benefits. 

CCD: What has been your experience since becoming Network Design Engineer?
USA: Well let me start by saying I am pleased to have this group under my watch because like I said earlier my interest lies in control and automation. I believe with the recent reassignment my team and I will give our best to the company. I am certain that in a very short term we will reposition the Engineering Department through Control and Automations. 

CCD: A lot of people still don't understand what Emerging Technology in Engineering is; can you shed more light on this?
USA: Emerging technology comprises technical ideas, which represent progressive developments in engineering department. To put it simply, we look at advanced technology in a broader view and relate that technology with our business for a competitive advantage. If you look at it, you will understand that outdated systems dominated our operations and therefore we need to do more to overcome these challenges by deploying digital technologies into our networks so as to decrease the complexity of our network and operations. 

CCD: What are your plans in your new position? 
USA: When we look at what we do, you would realize that data collection is very critical to our business. Properly shared and detailed data has the potential to improve our services on several dimensions, such as improving services through better access to more information when making critical decisions in the business. 
Currently, a lot of valuable information is missing along the way in the process of collecting data therefore our plan is to see that we bridge these gaps by deploying remote control and automation systems to our networks to allow real-time operation of the network and its connected resources and collect network data to improve situational awareness and utility services. 
Secondly, the way vandalism and asset theft are growing is disturbing and, of course they are causing a serious set back to our business. Relying on community and security agencies to notify us has not worked; that is where technology comes to the rescue. We have a plan to design security surveillance devices that will protect our assets wherever they are located.

CCD: Where do you see yourself in a few years down the line?
USA: I see myself in a couple of years as a successful engineer who would be proud to be part of Kaduna Electric transformation despite all the current challenges. 

CCD: What do you think we can do for the growth of the company?
USA: We all have the resources to make Kaduna Electric better but all that is missing is the right attitude. We should have a paradigm shift, where we take the ownership of the company and see ourselves as part owners. My advice is to ensure that all hands must be on deck to see that we reposition Kaduna Electric from a revenue bleeding company to revenue generating company.

CCD: What would consider your greatest achievement so far? 
USA: As at now, we are about reviving the remote operation of our injection substations in NAF Base, Narayi and Gonin Gora and in a short time we are going to have them as a model for the rest of the substations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment