Thursday 28 February 2019

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

We Go Beyond the Call of Duty to Secure Convictions 
CCD: Can we have your brief profile?
SS: My name is Barrister Sufiyanu Suleman. I am the Legal Officer, Sokoto Regional Office.
I was born in Sauwa District in Argungu Local Government, Kebbi State. I attended Sarki Sani Model Primary School, Argungu from there I proceeded to Kanta Unity College, Argungu were I obtained my Senior Secondary Certificate.
I later attended Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic Birnin Kebbi, where I obtained a Diploma in Sharia and Civil Law. I obtained  the LLB (Common and Islamic Laws) from the prestigious Usumanu Dan Fodiyo University, Sokoto in 2012. I was a student at the Nigerian Law School, Bwari Abuja in 2013 and thereafter I was called to the Nigerian Bar on November 28, 2013. 

CCD: When did you join Kaduna Electric?
SS: I joined Kaduna Electric on 1st September, 2015, as Sales Representative before re-assignment to Sokoto Regional Office as the Legal Officer in 2016.

CCD: What does your current role entail?
SS: As you very well know, I work in the Legal Department of the company. My role is to maintain and prevent any legal issue that the company is involved in, review and draft contracts, employee policies and handle court cases. My primary assignment as a Legal Officer, includes and not limited to the following:
Monitor all legal affairs within my area of coverage, handling of court cases.

CCD: What do you consider as a major challenge in the Legal Department?
SS: The major challenge facing us as Legal Officers is police misconduct. For example, there are cases of witness tampering or police corruption, which can lead to miscarriage of justice. In an effort to control police misconduct as a lawyer, you have to go beyond your role of giving legal advice, to engage directly in pretrial investigations otherwise it will be very difficult to secure conviction in any case.

CCD: What is your greatest strength?
SS: My strength is adaptability; being able to adjust to changes. As Service Center Manager, I was able to turn around a negative work environment to a friendly one by creating a very supportive team.

CCD: What do you consider your major achievement since you assumed duty?
SS: One of my major achievements as Legal Officer, is the success recorded in the case of Cop v. Faruk Hussaini & 3 others. It was a case of vandalism where the vandals were sentenced to two years imprisonment despite the fatal error of not tendering an exhibit made by the police prosecutor. But I was able to cure the error by making the required application before the court otherwise the convicts would have been discharged by the court. 

CCD: Any appeal or suggestions to the management or staff?
SS: My appeal to the management is to provide adequate working tool for staff as it will go a long way in helping them to achieve maximum productivity. To the staff: they should remain dedicated to their duties with the view of lifting the company to the highest level among all the Discos.

No comments:

Post a Comment