Thursday 13 December 2018

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

My Duties As A Financial Manager 



CCD: Tell me a bit about yourself?
AU:  My name is Auwal Umar, I was born and brought up in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State. I am a graduate of Forestry Technology from Federal College of Forestry Mechanization Afaka, Kaduna.

CCD: Tell us about your duties as a Financial Manager
AU:  My key responsibilities are: effective supervision of cash offices under GRO, reporting of the Finances of respective location, participation in the cash drive activities, monitoring of payments of major customers and effective reporting of cash collections. Others are cash receipt of payments; assistance is solving customer complaints, proper placement of cashiers and reconciliation of controversial payments.

CCD: What would you consider your professional achievements so far?
 AU: My professional achievement was borne out of my passion, zeal and willingness to learn even in the hard way. The accounting profession is not what I studied in school but due to my curiosity and interest, it became easy for me to become an accountant. Dedication and relentless service towards any profession with a mission to achieve goals and objectives gave me courage to be where I am today.

CCD: Hard work has been your guiding principle?
AU: Of course yes. Even in multiple folds, I joined the company in September 2018, as cashier after one year and some months, I was made a Clearing Cashier also I am one of the recipient of R&R award in February 2018 when I was the Clearing Cashier and today due to hard work, I am the Finance Manager in Gusau Regional Office.
Kaduna Electric has recently recognized my hard work by making me a Finance Manager of GRO.

CCD: What techniques and managerial style do you use to keep your department together?
AU: The best managerial skills and techniques for any manager to succeed is inclusion of all staff in decision making process, that is, accepting only constructive and reasonable ideas from virtually everybody. Our slogan "one for all, and all for one" will be seen in practice in my department.
CCD: What is your motivation to excel in this company?
AU: My career goal towards developing the company is to use my acquired skills and personal experience to provide solution that will facilitate the accomplishment of the company's corporate mission and vision.

CCD: What is your greatest professional strength?
AU: My greatest strength is to do things within the prescribed time frame. Also, I have qualities like: honesty, integrity and transparency in dealing with others.
Also, another weapon in my arsenal, which can be translated to strength, is my ability to absorb pressure and work under pressure, because I believe that there is no gain without pain. 

CCD: What do you think is your weakness?
AU: One of my weaknesses is wanting to be perfect; I hardly delegate, I fear the mistakes, but I have a plan to learn to believe in my team members and delegate but to make sure I supervise properly. And sometimes, I skip lunch to complete any task I am given.

CCD: Any appeal or suggesting to other staff and management?
AU: My appeal to the entire staff is that we should be dedicated to do our duties because this is where we get our daily bread. So, we must do the right things to make the company great. 
To management, they should look into the issue of staffing in Gusau, because we are seriously understaffed in virtually all the departments.

2 comments: