Thursday 29 March 2018

MEET THE STAFF SERIES


Increased Awareness Will Reduce Cases of Electrocution

CCD: Safiyanu Ahmad, tell us a bit about yourself.
SA:SA: I studied Computer Science and I am the Data Analyst for Rigasa Area Office. I started as a Marketer where I worked for almost two years and later posted here to take up this new position.

CCD: What is the role of a Data Analyst, especially for an Area Office?
SA: I do all reports sent to the Head Office; I handle data related Customer Record Maintenance (CRM) and matters related Rigasa data. 

The monthly data captured on the field by Customer Care Representatives is sent to the Head Office. Usually, data of new customers on the network are collated and sent to me for analysis.

We store information about customers whose accounts have been suspended; also information about inactivated bills. 

I do analysis of defaulting customers and mark them for disconnection. I also track the Sale Reps’ weekly and monthly collections and send the information to the Head Office for monthly appraisal.

CCD: What do you consider the most difficult part of being a Data Analyst?
SA: The challenging part for me is funding; the funding that comes to Rigasa Area office is very little given the kind revenue we generate here.
In the past, the Area Office was only able to collect 40 to 45 million Naira monthly from non-Maximum Demand customers.  But things changed in January this year and we started collecting double the amount that we inherited. This improvement was of course due mainly to personal marketing. 

The personal marketing strategy was adopted to prevent the use of disconnection, which we use only as last resort.  But I must confess that convincing them to pay has not been easy given that 90% of our customers are unmetered. 
We have a total of 50,000 customers and 43,000 are on estimated billing. So, you can imagine how difficult it is collecting money from 43,000 customers.

This is why funding is very important. Not just the amount but the timing of the release too. Delay release of money will delay the activities of the enforcement team.
Management should endeavor to send the funding latest on the 5th of every month. 

Operational vehicles are also inadequate especially as we have to cover areas like Gwazaye known to be an unsafe area. We still have to cover such areas because they consume electricity and we need vehicles for such trips.

We also need to provide meters to areas where they are highly needed and where their consumption is presumably high, as we have had so many complaints from Gwamna road especially to install meters for them.

CCD: There has been an increase in the number accidents lately, what do you think the company can do to forestall a frequent occurrence?
SA: Awareness is the key. Even though people know that electricity can be dangerous if proper caution is not taken but it is equally important to remind them of these dangers. 
Also, on our part we need to replace a lot of wires especially in Rigasa. I can recall that during Strive Workshop, it was mentioned as one of the projects that the company hopes to embark on. If these precautionary measures are taken, I believe the incidence of electrocution will be reduced.

CCD: The new structure was recently unveiled, where do you see yourself career-wise?  
SA: I am an IT person because I read Computer Science, so I would like to practise what I read. I have a lot to contribute to make this company Information Technology based. This will make our operations and collection better.

CCD: Any advice on how management can improve the business? 
SA: I will recommend more staff training which the company is already doing.  
Reduction of ATC&C losses, which I think the company, should do all that it can to tackle. 
Then to staff: we should be committed to our duties because this is where we earn our daily bread, so, we must do all we can to make the company great.

No comments:

Post a Comment