Thursday 28 September 2017

MEET THE STAFF SERIES



Things That Hamper Efficiency At Our Service Centre


CCD: Could you please introduce yourself? 
AK: My name is Ashiru Kazeem Adebowale, an Industrial Service Centre Supervisor for Gusau Area Office. I attended Federal Science College, Sokoto and proceeded to Sokoto State Polytechnic for Interim Joint Matriculation Examination (IJMB) from 2002 to 2007. Thereafter, I got admission to Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto, where I graduated with a BSc in Economics. 

CCD: What were you employed as, and could you describe how you felt when you were first hired to work with Kaduna Electric?
AK: I received my employment letter on the 1st of September 2015 as a Sales Representative with responsibilities that included: bills distribution, developing a good relationship with customers, strategizing on ways to enhance the company’s revenue and to oversee the activities of the Service Center. 
I was elated. It was a feeling of excitement to be employed in a great organization such as this and I saw it as an opportunity to contribute in the power sector. 

CCD: You have just been made the Industrial Service Center Supervisor, what are you going to do differently?
AK: Upon resumption as a Supervisor, I started by sensitizing customers and community leaders. The message is simple: for them to see themselves as stakeholders in the business. And whatever belongs to you, you are expected to take actions that will enable it to succeed and not jeopardize it. This is why they were enjoined to shun all forms of illegal activities like illegal reconnection, energy theft and refusal of pay electricity bills. I am happy to tell you that these ills have reduced considerably due to the sensitization programmes we have been embarking on. I will not relent in doing everything to see that the business succeeds.

CCD: What do you think are hinderances to achieving the set goals at the Area Office?
AK: There are a lot of challenges in Gusau area office but I will just mention a few. Most of our customers in Gusau still see the provision of electricity as the responsibility of government and therefore would not want to pay for it. 
Secondly, there is the problem of vandalism; this situation affects our collection. 
There is also the problem of “Area Boys” who will not allow us to carry out disconnections. I have been able to manage this situation due to the knowledge I acquired from training for Supervisors I attended recently in Kaduna.
Lastly, the issue of mobility; mobility is also one of the greatest challenges we are facing. The Sales Representatives need to have a vehicle to enable them discharge their responsibilities effectively. I am aware that our BDRO is making efforts to see that Gusau Area Office gets motorcycles. 

CCD: Where do you see yourself in the next three years in Kaduna Electric?
AK: I have only been this organization for two years. But I can say that this short period of time has been a huge learning curve for me. I would want to use the next three years to acquire more industry experience and also to sharpen my technical abilities. I see myself functioning at different capacities, like leading a team that will develop the winning ideas for the company.

CCD: How do you ensure an error proof report?
AK: I know the implications of financial mistakes, I know they can lead to heavy losses to the company; a wrong decision can be taken if a report is not properly put together. To avert this I usually double-check my work, I do peer review with my subordinates and line managers before I submit any report.

CCD: What is your greatest strength?
AK: My greatest strength is that I am result oriented. I don’t give up until I get results. And I make effort to see that I achieve the set target and to ensure that Kaduna Electric becomes first among the rest.

 CCD: What then is your weakness?
AK: I tend to be a perfectionist; therefore, I don’t like to delegate to others. But I have discovered that to attain efficiency, I must delegate responsibilities.

CCD: Any appeal/suggestion to other Staff/Management on how to make our operations more efficient?
AK: My suggestion to the management is that they should appeal to government to pass a bill that will criminalize acts of vandalism and meter bypass. 
The management should also address the issues of estimated billing, metering and capturing new customers.  I will also advise that we partner communities, law enforcement agents and vigilante groups to secure our substations and installations.

No comments:

Post a Comment