Friday 20 January 2023

MEET THE STAFF SERIES

 

The Management Should Institutionalise Bonding For Staff to Interact and Understand Each Other…..Abdulrahman Wada Usman

 

ABDULRAHMAN WADA USMAN

CCD: Can you briefly share with us your background- school attended and academic qualifications obtained as well as your previous working experience?

AWU: My name is Abdulrahman Wada Usman, I was born and raised in Jos, Plateau State. I had my primary and secondary education in Jos. After my secondary education, I moved to kano where I had my first degree in accounting (BSc) at Bayero University Kano. I did my compulsory national youth service at NTA Network Center, Kaduna.  I obtained my second degree, an MSc in Accounting at Kaduna State University. I had my first job with Etisalat Nigeria, Kano as a Customer Care Representative for only two months. I resigned after getting an appointment with Kaduna Electric.

CCD:  When did you join the service of Kaduna electric and what have you been doing ever since?

AWU: I joined Kaduna Electric in 2015 September. I started as a cashier at Tudun Wada Area Office. I was later transferred to Doka as cashier as well. In 2021, I got my first promotion in the Company and became the Clearing Cashier of the Area Office which is my current role.

CCD: How does your normal day looks like?

AWU: Well, I  come to the office on daily basis, weekends inclusive. We run two shifts because the cash office closes by 10:00pm before it was relaxed to 6:00pm as a result of transportation issue. Depending on the shift I am for the week, if in the morning, I come 7:00am and close by 1:00pm. While during the weekends, I come by 8:00am and close by 5:00pm. But as a clearing cashier I come 8:00am and close by 6:00pm.

CCD: How do you ensure that revenue collected are safely lodge into the Company’s account?

AWU: Daily revenue collections are counter checked and kept safely  taken to the bank for lodgement in the company's bank account. This is done with the cash van allocated to the area office. The cash is taken to nearest bank branch not taking somewhere far.

CCD: What are the challenges in your unit that you are facing?

AWU: The most pressing challenge faced by the unit is lack of UPS or inverter for the systems. At any point light is seized, all the systems go off immediately and causes transaction failure and sometimes leads to cancellation. It also causes the systems to get corrupt or spoilt sometimes. Secondly, the cash van for the Area Offices is in bad shape. It is always having one issue or the other because it's an old vehicle. And this is of course a threat to cash delivery. The van is not properly registered and we get harassed by the FRSC marshals and KASTLEA operatives. The exit door we use to take cash out is locked and don't have key. We can't keep telling security to open for us because cash is not expected to be exposed. We need a copy of the key to the exit door.

CCD: How do we further ensure the safety of the Company revenue?

AWU: Enforcement should be added in order to ensure prompt payment of bills

and bypass checked. Also LOR should be checked regularly to find out defaulters and doubtful debt.

CCD: What are your suggestion to the management and staff?

AWU: Interactive sessions should be created intermittently. Bonding times should be initiated perhaps as end of the year party. This is a way to make staff get familiar with each other and share experiences. Therefore letting the management know challenges peculiar to certain areas and how to overcome them. Also it provides the management an opportunity to communicate with the staff and motivate them.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment